EGGS BENEDICT WITH SMOKED SALMON & ASPARAGUS (FOR 2)
INGREDIENTS: 4 whole XL eggs / 60ml white vinegar / 10 asparagus spears / 100g smoked salmon / 1 jar of good quality, store-bought hollandaise / 2 large pieces of sourdough / Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
1. Bring a medium-sized pot of water and the vinegar to a gentle simmer.
2. Break two eggs into a small bowl then slide into the water. Set a timer for 3.5 minutes then put the eggs onto a piece of paper towel to drain. Repeat with the other eggs.
3. While the eggs are poaching bring a small pot of water to a rapid boil. Pop your asparagus into the water and blanche until bright green; cooked, but still crunchy.
4. Put the hollandaise into a small pot on a low heat and allow it to heat through.
5. In the meantime, slice two chunky pieces of sourdough and toast until golden.
6. Top each piece of toast with 50g salmon, two poached eggs, five asparagus spears and a good lashing of hollandaise. Season with salt and pepper – enjoy!
THE ULTIMATE EGG, BACON & AVOCADO SARNIE (FOR 2)
INGREDIENTS: 4 whole XL eggs / 1 pack streaky bacon / 1 large ripe avocado / 1 large handful of fresh wild rocket / 2 large, chunky pieces of sourdough / Tabasco, sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
1. Put a large pan on a medium heat. Add your bacon and cook until crispy and golden, turning as you go.
2. When the bacon is half way done, put some olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Crack your eggs into the pan and cook them the way you like them best.
3. While your eggs are cooking, pop your sourdough into the toaster and slice your avocado.
4. Layer toast with bacon, egg, avocado, rocket, a dash of Tabasco and some salt and pepper to taste. Close your sarnies with the second piece of toast, squash down and watch the gooey yellow of the egg yolk ooze down the side.