Gluten-free Prawn Pasta with Homemade Pesto (serves 2)
Ingredients: 30g rocket / 75g cherry tomatoes / Juice & zest of half a lemon / 2 cloves of garlic / 5tbsp extra virgin olive oil / 200g quinoa or brown rice pasta / Himalayan salt & black pepper / 250g prawns / 1 large handful of kale
- Make the pesto by whizzing together rocket, tomatoes, lemon, 1 clove garlic, 3tbsp oil and a good dash of salt & pepper
- Put your pasta on to cook as per packet instructions
- Finely slice or grate the remaining garlic clove directly into a frying pan. Add the remaining oil, turn on the heat and cook through for 1 minute
- Add the lemon zest and prawns and fry on a high heat for about 30 seconds each side until they turn from translucent to pale pink. Turn down the heat and add the pesto
- Drain the pasta (adding 1 or 2tbsp of the pasta water to the prawn/pesto frying pan)
- Add kale, stir through the pasta on a high heat for 30 seconds. Serve with a lemon wedge and fresh parsley.
#OnTheGo Apple/Chia Brekkie (serves 2)
Ingredients: 40g chia seeds / 320g Mylk of your choice (cashew / almond / hazelnut – we love Planish) / 1 inch piece of fresh ginger / 2 apples / ½tsp cinnamon
- Put the chia in a bowl or jar and using a fork slowly add in the mylk, stirring constantly to stop any lumps forming
- So that no clumps form, stir the mixture thoroughly every minute or so. In between stirs grate the ginger and apples, then add to chia with the cinnamon until well combined
- Leave to soak overnight or at least 2 hours before eating.
Chocolate Granola Bars (12 squares)
First, you have to make a batch of granola – shop-bought stuff is almost always full of sugar (honey / coconut sugar / maple syrup / dried fruit) so if you want a fully sugar free version here it is!
Granola ingredients: 150g almonds / 50g pecans / 50g walnuts / 80g oats (gluten free if preferred) / 1tsp cinnamon / 1½ tbsp melted coconut oil / 1 inch fresh ginger / 50g sunflower seeds / 50g pumpkin seeds / 80g coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Whizz half the almonds, pecans and walnuts in a blender
- In a bowl combine the chopped nuts with the remaining whole nuts, oats, cinnamon and oil. Grate in the ginger
- Add the mixture to a baking tray and bake for 20 mins
- Add the seeds and coconut flakes, stir thoroughly and bake for another 10 minutes. Makes at least 10 brekkies!
To make the chocolate bars, on a very low heat setting melt 100g 99 or 100% chocolate in a pan. Take it off the heat and stir in 100g granola, being sure to coat it all over. Pour the mixture into a lined baking tray and let it set in the fridge for at least an hour before cutting into squares.